In honor of National Dolphin Day, celebrated April 14, we thought we’d share some of the best ways to observe and learn more about these magical creatures.
- Dolphins range in size from 4-12 feet on average.
- Dolphins are extremely intelligent and social creatures.
- Dolphins communicate with each other using squeaks, whistles, body language and even head-butting.
- Bottlenose dolphins are the most common species seen around Sanibel Island.
How to see dolphins around Sanibel Island:
You can often spot dolphins from the comfort of your beach chair right in front of Sundial. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can always join the dolphins by kayak or paddleboard. Another great option for dolphin watching: guided boat tours. Here are a few of our recommended tour groups and charters:
- Port Sanibel Charters – Port Sanibel’s Eco Tours offer up the opportunity to “get face to face with dolphins, spot the elusive manatee or photograph our beautiful mangroves and seabirds!” Plus, Port Sanibel extends a discount to Sundial guests.
- Sanibel Thriller – The area’s only high-speed tour boat, a tour on the Sanibel Thriller is a unique way to see the area and a fun ride.
- Adventures in Paradise – One of the best things about Adventures in Paradise tours is how the dolphins like to ride the wake created by the boat. Book one of these tour adventures and you won’t be disappointed!
We hope you spot dolphins on Sanibel soon!