In honor of International Sushi Day, we convinced one of our amazing Shima chefs to reveal his secrets for executing the perfect California Roll. Are you brave enough to try this at home?
Fun Food Fact: It is widely believed and accepted that the California Roll was invented in Los Angeles in the 1960s by a chef known as Ichiro Mashita. The reason the roll is ‘inside-out’, compared to most traditional sushi rolls, is because the chef found that American diners would often peel off the nori layer before eating.
- Sushi Rice
- Tobiko/Flying Fish Roe
- Krab Stick
- Spread your sushi rice across the nori’s center and push out to cover the entire sheet.
- Spread the tobiko across the center of the rice.
- Flip entire sheet onto a bamboo sushi mat, rice side down.
- Add your sliced avocado, krab stick and cucumber down the center of the sheet.
- Roll tightly and slice in approximately 8 pieces for serving.