In September, Shima Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar was named Best Sushi for the third year in a row and Best Steak for the second consecutive year by Best of the Islands. We know it’s not possible for you to be enjoying Shima steak year-round, unless you’re local of course, so we talked to our chefs to get you the tips you need for perfecting your steak at home.
Here’s the advice we gleaned from Von and Sammy, our Shima pros who we have to thank for the Best Steak title:
- Season the Steak – Season your steak with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder on both sides.
- Prep the Pan – Choose an oven-safe pan, put on stove at medium-high heat until very hot and add a little oil (not butter).
- Sear the Steak – Sear steak on both sides, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Finish the Steak – Remove pan from stove and put into a 350-degree oven. Cook until the meat reaches the desired temperature, approximately 5-15 minutes.
- Rest the Steak – Remove the steak from the oven and top with butter. Let the meat rest and the butter melt into the steak.
We hope these tips keep you eating well at home and look forward to your next visit with us!